With a simple recipe like this, one thing is important beyond all else: quality ingredients!
Obviously the biggest ingredient here, the elephant in the room, is the chicken. The most important ingredient in this dish. I went to my local Meat Market and got the best of the best. The folks at Simpsons Meats have locally raised, farm fresh Tennessee chickens at the ready. If you’ve never had one of these chickens, I would highly recommend it. The difference will blow your mind!
Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 2 tbsp Reload Rub Fully Loaded
- 1 Lemon
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 bunch Rosemary
- 1 bunch Parsley
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 1 tbsp salt and pepper
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Sweet Onion
- ½ lb Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Russet Potatoes
- 2 Celery Stalks
- Pre Heat oven or grill to 400°.
- Clean and cut vegetables to a uniform size.
- Place vegetables in a 12" cast iron skillet. Toss in evoo, salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry. Remove any innards from the cavity. Place split lemon and herbs in the chicken cavity. Rub down with evoo. Season with Reload Rub Fully Loaded or your favorite poultry seasoning.
- Truss the chicken. This is simply accomplished by tying the legs together with butcher's twine and bending the wing behind the back. The goal is to make the chicken more compact and facilitate more even cooking.
- Place trussed chicken breast side up on top of vegetable in the cast iron skillet. The drippings from the chicken will add a ton of flavor to the veggies.
- Roast chicken and vegetable in oven until the chicken breast reaches 160° internal, or about 1.5 hours. Let chicken rest for 15 min before serving.